No matter if you’re doing it for the fun or for the money, the art of crafting is joyful and rewarding as it gives you the chance to be creative as much as you like. Even if you haven’t been doing it for some time, you know that some great ideas are worthless unless you have the tools to make it real.
Even after you got yourself the many different, colorful crafting supplies, they are still useless if you don’t get the machine that is able to put it all together and give life to your brand new idea.
A die cutting machine may be the tip of the iceberg in crafting and a good die cutting machine may be the missing key of your art crafting so far.
A die cut machine is a smart investment for a school teacher, a jewelry maker and even for a party planner or the home crafter. Choosing the best craft cutting machine for your needs is an important step for your hobby/profession.
- 1 The Top Digital/Electronic Die Cutting Machine Reviews
- 2 The Best Cricut Machines
- 3 The Best Silhouette Machine
- 4 Sizzix Cutting Machines
- 5 Brother Cutting Machines
- 6 Other Machines
- 7 Best Die Cutting Machine for Fabric
- 8 Best Die Cut Machine for Felt
- 9 Best Die Cut Machine for Scrapbooking
- 10 Best Die Cutting Machine for Card Making
- 11 Best craft cutting machine
- 12 Best die cutting machine for beginners
- 13 Best die cutting machine for custom designs
- 14 Best stencil cutting machine
- 15 Best manual die cutting machine
- 16 Choosing a Die Cutter
The Top Digital/Electronic Die Cutting Machine Reviews
The Best Cricut Machines
Cricut Explore Air 2 Cutting Machine
The Cricut Explore Air 2 Wireless Cutting Machine gives not only the chance to create so many various cuttings on so many materials, but is also gives you the freedom to do it away from your computer as it’s wireless.
The cutting machine features an embedded Bluetooth for wireless cutting, but it presents plenty of other features that complete its value.
Let’s list the most important qualities and features:
- The machine includes Bluetooth for wireless cutting
- You may upload so many typed of images for free
- The cutting machine cuts more than 60 materials, including leather, paper, fabric, cardstock and so on
- The machine is compatible with all Cricut cartridges
- The machine features a Smart Set dial so that you may easily set the material
- You may also use the iPad app with the machine so you may create on the go your designs
- The machine is easy to use, especially on the go
- The cutting machine has dual carriage for cutting and writing or cutting and scoring
- It comes with built-in storage compartments
- You may upload your personal images or choose from the Cricut Image Library just as well
- The cutting machine is very accurate for cutting as it features the Cut Smart Technology
- The blades are quite long lasting
- The machine is rather quiet
- The cutting machine is well made and durable
- You may manually customize setting within program
As for the parts we like less, here they are:
- The software is a bit slow
- The machine doesn’t come with a scraper tool
- Some needed time to learn to get the best out of the machine
No matter the cons though, we still think the cutting machine is worth to try, especially if you are always on the go.
You may also want to see the previous model, Cricut Explore Air.
Cricut Explore One Cutting Machine
For those of you who never tried a die cutting machine by now, it’s not a bad idea to begin with Cricut Explore One Cutting Machine.
The electronic cutting machine is a dependable and versatile tool to try on various DIY crafts and projects. It comes with many good features and here are the most important ones:
- The cutting machine is great to use for many DIY, craft projects
- You may design on the go and use the free cloud-based apps for PC, Mac, iPad and iPhone
- It’s possible for you to upload and cut your images for free
- You may add the wireless Bluetooth adapter for an wirelessly upgrade of the machine (you need to buy the adapter separately)
- The machine cuts fonts already installed on your computer
- It cuts various materials, with various thickness
- It works with Cricut cartridges
- The cutting machine is well made and is long lasting
- It comes with German carbide premium blades
- You may browse through ready-to-make projects
- The machine cuts clean, small and big just as well
- You may do some custom settings for various materials
- The machine works smooth and quiet
- It’s efficient and reliable
We don’t forget to mention the things we don’t appreciate:
- The interface could be more intuitive
- Some experienced a big learning curve when getting used to the machine
- You do need internet connection when using it
All in all, the minimal issues aren’t deal breakers for us and we still recommend the machine as an efficient, dependable electronic machine for your DIY projects.
Cricut Cuttlebug Machine
When you know very well your needs and abilities and want a simple, yet efficient die cutting machine, get yourself a simple model like the Cricut 2000293 Cuttlebug Machine.
The manual cutting machine manages to be efficient and reliable for plenty of situations so here are our most important pros:
- The cutting machine takes the dies you already have
- The machine cuts a great variety of materials
- The compact fold-n-store profile gives a small foot print for storage
- The machine features a built-in pop-up handle, so it’s highly portable
- The machine comes with instruction and some useful items
- It’s easy to use the machine
- The machine is reliable and versatile
Some parts we would like to change on the machine:
- The machine only opens 6 inches
- The durability may be an issues
Despite the minimal issues, as long as you know you get a manual, easy to use and not sophisticated cutting machine, you’re good to go with the model.
The Best Silhouette Machine
Silhouette Cameo Electronic Cutting Tool
When it comes to versatility and great possibilities for cutting, the Silhouette Cameo Electronic Cutting Tool manages to be one of the best die cutters out there.
Here are its pros:
- The cutter gives you access to numerous downloadable designs
- The Cameo Electronic comes with PC and Mac compatible software
- The cutter has a 12 inch cutting mat, cutting blade
- You get 50 exclusive cut table designs
- You also receive a $10 gift card to the Silhouette Online Store
- You may cut up to 12-inch wide and 1-feet long cuts
- The cutter helps you work with all kinds of materials, from vinyl to fabric
- You may work custom apparel, vinyl décor, etched glass, sketch design, paper crafts and scrapbook layouts
- The die cutter helps you get intricate cuts, smooth edges, accurate duplicates
- The cutter works amazing on paper crafting projects
- The Silhouette Cameo comes with power cable and USB cable
- When you switch from blade to pen, the Cameo still sketches instead of cutting
- You may control the cutter with computer or SD card
- The software is easy to use
- The blade is easily adjustable
- The cutter helps you create etched glass
- The cuts and the images are nice and clean
- The cutter is dual voltage
- There are so many accessories that come along with the cutter
There are some minor issues related to the Silhouette Cameo and here are our cons:
- The cutter is a bit noisy
- You may need some time until you learn how to use it
- The mat is slippery
- The mat needs to be of better quality as it scratches easily at the moment
- It’s a bit difficult to adjust the blade to the thickness of the material
Other than this, the cutter is flawless and performs amazingly well.
Silhouette America Curio Crafting Machine
For the newly dedicated crafter, a good option is the Silhouette America Curio Crafting Machine as it comes with so many tools and items when you’re new at this.
You get to appreciate the variously sized cutting mats and embossing mats that come along, but also the Vinyl Starter kit.
Long story short, here are the many features for the crafting machine:
- The kit includes four platforms: two cutting mats and two embossing mats
- The Vinyl starter kit includes 4 sheets pf premium vinyl, transfer paper and several other tools
- The machine comes with various long lasting blades
- You also get fine emboss tool, etching and stippling tool
- The package contains a great variety of useful tools for crafting
- You get to use the Software and power cord that come along
- You also get to use 50 exclusive downloadable designs
- The machine is easy to load and to use
- It features large media trays
- The machine is highly versatile and gives you so many options
- The machine lets you stipple, etch and emboss
- The machine cuts thicker materials
Let’s not forget the things that could use some improvement:
- Some find it difficult to get the clear instructions
- The top mat sticks
No matter the minimal issues, we think the machine is a wise choice for any new-entry level crafter.
Keeping your eye on the market gives you a good hint on what customers are interested in at some point. This is why we have a product like Silhouette Portrait that brings in a small package, plenty of features and a good performance, considering its low price.
To get a clear image on the machine, here are the most important features, as we see it:
- The cutting machine is highly versatile as you can cut with it various materials: fabric, cardstock, paper, vellum, magnet paper and so on
- The machine comes with free Mac and PC compatible software
- The software is easy to install, as it is the entire cutting machine
- You get 50 exclusive digital designs
- The machine is a smaller, lighter version of the famous Silhouette Cameo
- You may register and cut printed materials
- The machine has a good build and is well made
- It’s highly portable
- It has a small foot print so it’s easy to display it and store it
- It has a sleek, elegant design and a nice appearance
The cutting machine also has some minor flaws that we’d like to mention:
- The small details are a bit more difficult to do when using the machine
- There is a learning curve for the software
- You’d expect a more quiet machine, seeing its size
The minimal issues don’t minimize the overall value of the machine that manages to be a dependable option, considering its price.
Sizzix Cutting Machines
The Sizzix Eclips2 Starter Kit brings plenty of good things on the table and manages to become a reliable tool for all the crafters, DIY lovers out there. The several features, the dependability and the good quality may seal the deal for you.
Let’s go over the features in order for you to get a clear image on the cutting machine:
- The cutting machine comes with a powerful motor that runs smooth
- The machine is strong, but quiet
- The gears are industrial-strong and give speed, low noise, accuracy and efficiency
- The machine comes with free eCal, lite software that helps you create many designs, shapes
- You may weld several shapes and letter into one cut when using the machine
- You may change the look of letters and shapes pretty fast using the Appearance Styles
- The machine is highly versatile and gives you so many options
- You may also access TruType, Open Type and fonts from your computer
- The machine cuts nice and accurate
- It cuts plenty of materials: paper, cardstock, vellum, chipboard
- The machine comes with adjustable blade depth
- The cutting machine features auto selection of speed and pressure for material you cut
- You may have a sneak peek cut thanks to the Laser Cut Preview
- You don’t need any cartridges for the machine
- The machine is well made and is long lasting
Let’s throw an eye on things we like less:
- The machine could improve its performances for the small details jobs
- The mats are a bit difficult to clean
Regardless the minimal issues, we still consider the machine a good tool to have when you want fast, accurate and versatile work for your Die projects.
Sizzix Vagabond 2 Machine
Step out of the classical appearance of a die cutting machine and try something different with the Sizzix 660855 Vagabond 2 Machine. Apart from its suitcase appearance (and quite traveled, we may add), the cutting machine presents many good things you should consider when shopping.
Scroll down to take a look at the best features on the machine:
- The machine has a suitcase look and is easy to store and to display
- It works with smallest die and 6-inch wide plastic backed and embossing tools
- The suitcase opens easily and reveals a strong machine easy to carry around
- The motor is powerful, but the machine runs quiet
- The cutting runs smoothly
- The machine comes with all-metal gears
- The forward and reverse gears are very efficient
- The cutting machine works great through all kinds of materials, of various thickness
- The machine is very well made and durable
- The cutting machine includes overload protection, to minimize risk for motor jams
- You may add the wafer-thing die adapter to work with frameless and other brand dies and embossing tools
- The machine is easy to use thanks to the diagrams on the platform and adapter
- The stability of the machine is good, even on a small table
- The machine is quiet and efficient
- It’s easy to load the machine
- It has no plastic parts
Let’s not forget though the parts we don’t really like:
- In order to get the best performances, you should read the instruction before
- Some say the directions need to be more clear than that
Regardless the cons, we consider the cutting machine to be an out-of-ordinary tool that brings always-good performance, not only unique appearance.
Sizzix Big Shot Plus
Versatile, long lasting and reliable, the Sizzix 660340 Big Shot Plus Cutting/Embossing Machine comes with many good features and here are the pros:
- The cutter is highly versatile
- You may cut materials from 8 ½ inch by 11-inch
- You may get the 9-inch wide plastic-backed dies
- The cutter comes with many embossing tools
- You may create home décor, quilting, scrapbook pages, fashion, altered art, cards and so on
- The cutter has an elegant white and grey color scheme
- The Sizzix logo is subtle embossed on the handle
- You may work with the whole Sizzix product library
- The cutter is easy to carry around as it’s lightweight
- The handle gives a good grip
- There is a good built to the cutter
- The cutter comes with standard cutting pad
- You get a Big Shot Plus Platform and Adapters A&B
- The diagrams on the Platforms and Adapters give you easy guidelines on how to get the best sandwich
- The cutter is a great option for the small businesses
- The feed is smooth
- The cutter cuts all dies
- The base is wide and sturdy
- You may use other mats in order to get lighter embossing
As for the cons, here are ours:
- You need to do some research and learning on the tools and dies
- The plates are long and large which is not the best thing all the time
- The plates tend to deform and arch after a few uses
We didn’t consider these to be deal breakers, and think the Sizzix 660340 is still a great, versatile and reliable die cutter.
Brother Cutting Machines
Brother CM350 ScanNCut 2
If you are determined to try a new brand on your die cutting machine, give it a try with the Brother CM350 ScanNCut 2 Home & Hobby Cutting Machine.
The machine is a good example for new technology in electronic cutting machines and increase your freedom when creating, with just one button. You may connect it wirelessly or directly to your PC and needs no cartridges or monthly subscriptions either.
Let’s pinpoint the most important pros:
- The cutting machine scans anything, from handmade drawings to family photos
- It features a very large, friendly user touch screen display
- It comes with a good quality built-in 300DPI scanner with enhanced scanning abilities
- The machine reads 300DPI data files
- The cutting machine is able for detailed cutting
- The mat is sticky and reliable
- The machine is easy to use
- The cutting machine is able to read SVG data files and comes with more than 600 built-in designs
- You may use the ScanNCutCanvas application that is a free cloud-based web application for editing and designing cut data
- The machine has a good build, a small foot print
- It’s easy to display and store the cutting machine
There are few parts we like less on the machine:
- Some need a learning curve to get the best performance from the machine
- The touch screen needs to be of better quality
- The touch screen doesn’t lock
Despite the minor issues, as it’s able to scan anything and has great detailing on cutting, the cutting machine is an option to try.
If you want to step it up a bit when it comes to crafting and DIY projects, don’t hesitate to try a new Brother model, the Brother ScanNCut2 Home and Hobby Cutting Machine with Rhinestone Trial Kit.
Give your projects some sparkle with the Rhinestone Trial Kit as the machine comes with all the things you need to create some nice rhinestone designs.
Let’s list the most important features and qualities on the cutting machine:
- The machine comes with all materials you need for rhinestone designs
- The cutting machine comes wireless network ready, PC connectivity or may be used Stand-Alone
- You get more than 600 designs and 7 built-in fonts
- The LCD touch screen display is user-friendly and larger than in other models
- The machine features a 300DPI built-in Scanner and RBG color recognition
- The machine is able to read SVG data files
- You also get free cloud-based web application so that you may edit and design cut data
- You don’t need any cartridges or monthly subscriptions to use the machine
- You may easily transfer files thanks to the ScanNCut feature
- You can also use it as stand-alone as it comes with built-in designs, fonts
- The German carbide blade is sharp and long lasting
- The cutting is accurate, nice and clean
- The machine looks very nice
There are some parts we don’t like that much on the machine:
- It comes with no built-in holder for stylus
- The screen interface is a bit difficult to read
The minimal issues aren’t deal breakers for us and we consider the machine to be a great, nice looking die cutting machine.
Pazzles Inspiration Vue
Just because a cutting machine isn’t the most popular out there, it doesn’t mean you can’t give it a chance, as it brings a lot of good things on the table and reliability for many DIY projects. It’s the case of the Pazzles Inspiration Vue that is a tool you should get as it cuts through so many types of materials and helps your creative ideas to become true.
Let’s highlight the most important features on the machine:
- You may design and cut your images from drawings, clipart or simply draw new ones
- The machine cuts fonts installed on your computer
- You may print and cut with optical eye
- It features a patent pending print and cut system
- The machine cuts various materials, no matter their thickness
- You may use it on vinyl, paper, thin plastics, magnet paper, stencil plastic and even the thickest textured cardstocks
- The machine comes with plenty of tools so you may pierce, distress, engrave, emboss and cut pastry
- The machine is highly versatile
- The InVue design software is reliable and efficient
- The machine is compatible with Windows and Mac
- You may open various type files: SVG, PNG, JPG, WPC
- The machine has a good build and is very well made
- The machine looks very nice
- It’s easy to display and to store it
Let’s be fair and list the cons:
- Some find it a bit tricky to use the software in the beginning
- Some expected better customer service
Despite the minimal issues, the cutting machine is a nice, reliable, versatile and nice looking tool to have around the house.
KNK Force Cutting Machine
For those of you who are willing to pay the extra buck and get the professional grade die cutting machine, a new and impressive tool is the KNK Force.
The cutting machine brings a lot on the table and here are the most important features we like to highlight:
- The cutting machine features dual heads
- The cutting pressure is impressive
- The machine gets smoothly through vinyl and thick materials just as well
- The machine features an optic eye, using a built-in camera
- You may do both manual and automatic print and cuts
- You may also calibrate various combination of accessories in the dual cutting heads
- The tool features a built-in computer so you may open and cut your SVG files
- You can actually control the force of the tool from any device with operating system
- You may switch from a device to another
- The machine works with various software applications
- The machine uses a strong motor
- The blade holder design gives versatility to the machine
- The tool gives you the possibility to use a rotary tool
- The machine features control depth, control of the plunge speed
- The tool is wireless
- The machine has a built-in storage as it features fold-down table for nice organization
Along with these several features and good things, comes only one big fat con: the price.
Giving the several features, the versatility, the reliability and sturdy build, we conclude the machine is a good investment of your money anytime.
Best Die Cutting Machine for Fabric
When it comes to cutting fabric, the opinions are quite various. Some vote for the manual die cutting machines for fabric, for several reasons.
You don’t need a mat for a manual die cutting machine and in the case of a digital machine; the mat should be very sticky in order to be efficient.
As a manual die cutting machine has no several blades, you don’t need to experience with several depth settings, pressure or type of blades. The manual die cutting machine is good like that.
Let’s not forget you may cut several layers of fabric with a manual cutting machine- and it’s not the case for the digital machine. Moreover, with a manual die cutting machine you can get as big as you want with your dies also.
If you think you are up for the tasks that the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter offers, don’t sit on the fence and get it already.
It’s lesser brother is the Janome 12″ cutter.
The Janome machine comes with several cutting mats, fine tuning blade holder, some tools and various cutting blades. You get great use of the USB cord and the instruction manual that is detailed and very helpful when installing or using the cutting machine. Important note: go carefully through the instruction as they mean so much for better understanding the setup and use of the cutting machine.
The software runs smooth and includes no less than 3,500 embroidery and applique designs. You get accurate and clean shapes from printed fabric and paper every time thanks to the Print-and-Cut feature when cutting. The Artistic SimpleCut software eases cutting and you may export stitch files to work with any embroidery machine.
The software also auto trace designs and you may even create custom rhinestone fills for a crystal project. You may create and cut detailed, intricate designs every time.
The cutting machine features also wireless technology, which is easy to use, once you are over the learning curve.
The blades are durable and strong and the machine comes with plenty of other useful features. The LED lights are also long lasting and efficient and the components are commercial grade steel. The machine has a 600mm/sec cutting speed and a cutting pressure that goes up to 750g.
The machine gives you the liberty to create in the software and cut out so many types of materials. The machine cuts through almost anything, including leather or faux leather, with no need of rotary cutter.
Let’s make a short list of pros:
- The cutting machine is easy to install and to use, eventually
- It has wireless technology also
- It gets through so many types of materials, no matter how intricate or detailed the designs are
- It comes with plenty of features that sustain your creative ideas
We don’t forget about the cons:
- You really need high tack mats to get the best results
- There is a learning curve for the machine
- You need to pay attention when using it, as the machine literally goes through anything
The minor issues aren’t deal breakers for us and we think it’s a reliable, quite “power-horse” option for so many projects. As long as you’re up for it.
If you are into quilting and got tired of cutting and finding the right sized patches all the time, get more efficiency on your hobby with a reliable quilting machine like the AccuQuilt GO Fabric Cutter.
The Fabric cutter is a fabric cutting system that works fast and accurate every time. You may cut fabrics even 90% faster than using scissors or rotary cutting.
The machine is easy to use and brings no pain to your shoulders or hands, like when using the old-fashion cutting ways. It’s ready to use right out of the box and increases a lot your efficiency.
The machine has a portable design so it’s also easy to carry around. The cutter comes also with a helpful die and a cutting mat. You don’t need to worry much on how to use the machine, as it comes with useful instructions for various projects.
You get to appreciate the impressive efficiency the machine gives you. It takes only some minutes to cut a whole quilt. You may cut several layers, but this relates a lot to the thickness of the materials you are using also.
The mats are thick and of good quality. The machine is highly versatile and helps you get as creative as you want when it comes to quilting.
Along with the efficiency, the speed the machine gives, come the accuracy and the minimal strain for the hand when using it. The cuts are uniform and your quilts look nicer than before.
Let’s highlight the most important pros:
- The machine is easy to use right out of the box
- It gives you accurate, fast and clean cuts every time
- It only takes you few minutes to cut a quilt
- The machine is portable and versatile
We would also like to mention our cons:
- The machine sits on the heavy weight side, according to some
- It may seem a bit pricey for some of you
Overall, when you put at balance performance, efficiency, speed, precision, and the price on the other side, you sure make a good choice that is totally worth it.
Another digital cutting machine for fabric, that gives you the chance for so many details, is the Silhouette Cameo Fabric Starter Kit.
Another good example, efficient and simple, is the Cricut 2000293 Cuttlebug Machine that gives you speed and great results.
Best Die Cut Machine for Felt
If you love working with felt, you need to know that one of the best die cutters for felt is the Sizzix 660425 Big Shot Cutting/Embossing Machine with Extended Multipurpose Platform. There are many good things to tell about to it so here are the pros:
- The die cutter has an extended multipurpose platform
- The die cutter has white&grey color scheme
- The Sizzix logo is subtly embossed on the handle
- The shape-cutting is portable
- The embossing is roller-style
- The die cutter accommodates a wide range of crafting materials
- You may get amazing cuts with paper, fabric and felt
- You may use the die cutter for fashion, quilting, invitations, scrapbook pages and so on
- The Sizzix comes with diagrams on the platform for easier guideline on how to get the perfect Sizzix sandwich
- The die cutter comes with standard cutting pads
- You may use almost the entire Sizzix product library
- The dice cutter lets you get large number of odd cuts in short time
- The Sizzix is user friendly
- The cutter is sturdy and versatile
- The die cutting machine is lightweight
- The cutter has solid core steel rollers and durable steel gears
- The ABS exterior is made of plastic
- The price is amazing for the quality you get
Even though the Sizzix is a die cutting felt best machine, there are some down sides to it that we need to mention:
- You need to get used to the odd names of the tools and dies
- The die cutter comes with no information
- The intricate dies that come along with the cutter are a bit crispy
All in all, the Sizzix is a great die cutter for many kinds of materials, especially felt.
Best Die Cut Machine for Scrapbooking
Scrapbooking is easier when you have a good, efficient and reliable die cutting machine. The Brother ScanNCut CM100DM Home and Hobby Cutting Machine comes with a built-in scanner and many nice features. Here are the pros:
- The cutter can scan anything from handmade drawing to dear family pictures
- The cutter comes with 600+ built-in designs
- The LCD touch screen is large and colored
- The touch screen as on-screen editing capabilities like rotating, welding, resizing, organizing
- The cutter has 11,7-inch-wide scanning and cutting area so that you develop large projects also
- The cutter is ready to use out of the box
- The interface is user-friendly
- The cutter gets through fabric also
- For the ScanNCut Canvas, the cloud based web application easily coverts SVG files to FCM files
- The cutter is lightweight and stands on itself
- You get a standard cut blade, a deep cut blade holder and a deep cut blade
- The mats are 12”x12’
- The cutter comes with spatula, 2 high tack adhesive fabric support sheets and 2 iron-on fabric applique contact sheets
- The cuts are nice, clean
- The cutter gives the perfect cuts on paper
There are some minor issues to the cutter, so here are the cons:
- The mat loses the stickiness after a while
- The cutter is a big learning curve
- The editing screen could be bigger
- The cutter doesn’t always find all the fine lines
All in all, scrapbooking will be easier with this machine, and you are limited only by your imagination.
Best Die Cutting Machine for Card Making
When you want to create the most special birthday cards for your loved ones, a good die cutting machine is a big help. And when it comes with frameless and stamp feature, it’s even better. The Sizzix 30303 Big Shot Cutting/Embossing Kit #3 with Machine and ‘Birthday’ Frameless & Stamps is a great die cutting machine for card making and here are the pros:
- The Sizzix comes with birthday dies and stamps by Stephanie Barnard
- The cutter is compatible with the Big Kick, Bigshot and Vagabond machines
- It’s easy to use the cutter
- The cutter looks very nice and cute
- The Sizzix has an extended multipurpose platform
- The cutter comes with clear cutting pads
- You may use the cutter with Sizzix magnetic platform
- The instructions are good and easy to understand
When it comes to the cons, there aren’t many to mention. The cutter is great for card making, but it’s limited to card making only.
Best craft cutting machine
If you like crafting there comes a moment when only a cutting machine is able to give your crafting ideas accuracy and nice finish.
Either you do it at home or in school, a cutting machine is the tool that may give you speed and efficiency on any craft project. In addition, when you add the precise, nice, clean cuts or the ability to give the most sophisticated details, a cutting machine seems to be like the best choice.
Depending on your budget and your ambitions, you can get a simpler cutting machine that cuts so many types of materials and is pretty accurate also, like the Silhouette Portrait. However, if you can afford and want freedom when crafting, a more complicated cutting machine should be your choice. The Cricut Explore Air Wireless Cutting Machine is an example of that.
Best die cutting machine for beginners
If you are new into die cutting and don’t know what to look for on a die cutting machine, few tips to follow wouldn’t hurt.
For so many reasons, you should get a simple die cutting machine that gets you through the basics. After all, practice makes perfect and you do have time to step up a bit and get into the sophisticated jobs.
A good example for the category would be the Silhouette America Curio Crafting Machine and the machine is easy to sue even by the most inexperienced crafter/DIY fan.
Some consider that it’s not a bad idea to get a package that doesn’t come only with a good, friendly user die-cutting machine, but also with so many items that you get to try after a while.
This type of package saves you the trouble of shopping again any time soon and gives you also plenty of chances to practice various jobs and ideas.
The Sizzix Eclips2 Starter Kit presents many features that are functional and give you efficiency right from beginning. Once you get to learn to use, you get speed, accuracy and efficiency on so many die cutting jobs.
Best die cutting machine for custom designs
When you feel your creativity bursting and need a performant die cutting machine that is able to keep up with your amazing ideas.
Getting a manual die cutting machine is fine, but when you are determined to create more intricate, detailed work, the simple manual machine may fail on you.
You also need a die cutting machine that easily cuts various materials, no matter their thickness. Either it’s vinyl or cardstock, you want to be able to finish your art projects, as detailed as they may be.
When you go shopping with a fixed budget, a reliable and pretty good option is the Cricut Explore One Cutting Machine.
If you are willing to pay the extra buck and get the better and more versatile performance, a good choice is the Pazzles Inspiration Vue. This is a cutting machine that helps you make all your ideas, no matter how sophisticated they may be, become nice reality.
Best stencil cutting machine
For those of you out there that are not only in the crafting and DIY projects, but also want to move things a bit farther, creating your own stencils seems like a natural move.
Getting a machine that is able to do that it’s not easy and some models do manage to help you. You need a cutting machine that not only cuts through thin and thick materials just as well, but it’s also able to give all the intricate details you are creating. In addition, if the cuts are also accurate, than you got yourself a winner.
A dependable die cutting machine for your stencils is the Silhouette Cameo Electronic Cutting Tool as it’s both accurate and reliable.
The more you are willing to pay, the more you need to expect and this is the case of the Brother ScanNCut2 Home and Hobby Cutting Machine with Rhinestone Trial Kit. The kit not only makes your stencils real, but also brings some sparkles to your art projects.
Best manual die cutting machine
Some don’t want high speed, nor to create hundreds of projects in several hours. Some like Die projects just for home use, to make nice and impressive gifts for the loved ones.
When you’re not in a hurry and want to make several Xmas cards (for instance) with a single cut, a manual die cutting machine is a reliable option.
You don’t need to stress about cartridges nor changing blades on manual die cutting machine, and this is another plus for some out there. You can cut big sized papers when using a manual cutting machine or multiple layers, if that’s your will.
If you think this type of machine fits your needs, don’t hesitate and give it a go with the Sizzix 660425 Big Shot Cutting/Embossing Machine with Extended Multipurpose Platform.
Just because manual die cutting machines are simpler, doesn’t mean you can’t get more sophisticated in your projects when using one. The Sizzix 30303 Big Shot Cutting/Embossing Kit gives you plenty of choices and possibilities to get creative in your projects.
Choosing a Die Cutter
Traveling back in time (because we love some history)
Die cutting machines appeared somewhere during the Industrial Revolution, in the 18th century. It was then that manufacturers began to use the process of die cutting in order to get standardized products.
It was in the mid-1800s when shoemakers began using a mallet handle die to cut out soles. The technique used by them was the base for the dying machines and the swing arm clicker begun the press only in the early 20th century.
Why get a die cutting machine?
A good die cutter may be the solution for your art crafting as it’s able to give you various and numerous shapes from all kinds of fabrics. When you need a great number of shapes in a short amount of time, owning a craft cutter saves you from working under pressure. You get uniform shapes, with nice and clean edges in a manner that a hand-cut couldn’t give. And, let’s all think about the money you’re saving when having a die cutter.
There are many materials that you may cut using a cutting machine. The best electronic cutting machine goes easily through paper, cardboard, cloth, wood, light metals, vinyl and plastic. You may get great results with the die craft cutter on foam, chipboard, foil, rubber and even compressed sponges.
As for the die cutting machine projects that you may develop, there are many and as various as you may think. It’s easier to create gift bags, photo frames, greeting cards, stickers, posters and photo mats with a die cutting machine. The best home die cutting machine helps you customize your stationary or create some jewelry pieces. It may be the key when you make a lovely quilt or some wall decorations. Sky is the limit when it comes to the uses of the die cutting machine.
Which die cutting machine to get?
You may use a manual die cutting machine which needs you to turn a crank or handle in order to operate it. You sandwich a die or image and a sheet of paper between two plastic plates. There are some steps to be followed to get the wanted results.
A manual die cutter is not the best choice for the people suffering from arthritis or carpal tunnel syndrome. But this type of cutter is easy to use, for sure.
The electronic die cutting machine operates without a computer and you only need to plug it into an electrical outlet. There are simple models, as easy as the manual die cutter and you only need to push a button to feed the plates through the machine. The more complicated electronic die cutting machines need cartridge instead of dies and each cartridge may store hundreds of images.
The most sophisticated types of die cutters are those connected to computers. The digital die cutting machines are able to replicate any of the fonts, illustrations and shapes already stored on one’s computer. The software that comes with a digital die cutter enables designing custom patterns or trading files with any other online user with the same software. This type of die cutter is the most expensive one but you don’t need to buy extra cartridges as you only need to go online to get more from the library.
How to choose your die cutting machine
There are several things to consider when choosing your die cutting machine.
A good die cutter ranges in price from $50 to even $1,000 and cost is therefore an important fact to consider. An expensive model is the choice for devoted crafters, artists and business owners. But, you also need to consider the investment for dies, blades, cartridges and cutting mats as these can also get quite expensive.
As die cutting machines come in various sizes, you also need to think about the portability of the die cutter. The small one comes with a carrying handle, whereas the large, computer connected die cutters, are trickier to move around.
Most die cutting machines come with a starter kit but you will eventually need to invest in additional dies or cartridges. Four cartridges may go up too few hundreds of dollars and you may also want to get a die cutting tool kit.
One last thought
Owning a die cutting machine means you’re devoted to your crafting and it’s well worth to search for models, read about and only afterwards settle for your die cutter. Some might be better with a manual or electric model, whereas computer-savvy persons may want to stick with a digital die cutting machine.