Best Hobby Tools You Should Have in Your Kit
Hobby is a broad term that covers a host of things from knitting to stamp collecting or building race cars. The nature of a hobby determines the tools required to enjoy the hobby. Building race cars probably doesn’t require wood glue, and stamp collectors rarely need a blow torch. Putting together a set of hobby tools to cover every hobby is just not possible.
Realizing this would be a problem, we focused on tools that have a place in more than one hobby. Many of you probably have more than one hobby, so a diverse toolkit is a necessity. Still, keep in mind that short of keeping your hobby tools in a cargo trailer you have to sacrifice a few tools for the sake of space. Don’t go all out and buy every one you can think of right off the bat.
Electronics Hobby Tools
Electronics is one of the more challenging hobbies because of the minor danger factor. Granted, most electronics hobbyists stick with low voltage projects, but some risk remains in play. Quite a lot of robotics and computer projects also fall into this category.
Some of these projects come in kit form, so you don't need many tools. However, to get the most out of your electronics hobby, you need a reliable and useful toolkit.
Syntus 80 in 1 Precision Screwdriver Set
- Most Economical Do-Everything Tool Kit - Tools include 60 in 1 screwdriver set, utility knife, metal ruler, suction cup...
- Multipurpose - Essential parts for repairing smartphones, tablets, and PCs including iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air, and...
- Quality to the Core - Crafted with S2 tool steel, which hardness can reach up to HRC60, much more durable than CR-V...
Belkin advertises this toolkit as a computer toolkit, but it’s packed with things that fit with any electronics projects. The tools included in the kit are demagnetized to prevent damage to sensitive electronic or computer parts. It contains 55 pieces in total from screwdrivers to pliers plus a bonus soldering iron. You can order it from Amazon for $41.13.
GLAM HOBBY LED LIGHT HELPING HANDS MAGNIFIER STATION
- Dual Strength Work/Hobby Desk Magnifier: 4.25-Inch 2.5x Lens w/8x Inset Spot Lens
- 2 Integrated Super-Bright ‘Daylight’ LEDs; Powered by 3 AAA Batteries (Not Included)
- Freestanding Hands Free Base w/Two Metal Stability Bars; Clip w/Rubberized Gripping Pads
No electronics toolkit is complete without a magnifier station and clamps to hold things in place for soldering. This station lights up to help you see what you’re working on, and it is powered by either USB or battery power.
It’s the perfect compliment to your hobby tools whether your hobbies involve electronics, models, or any number of other hobbies involving small parts. You can order this station from Amazon for $16.98.
SHOWPIN SOLDERING MAT
- 【Wide Application】 XOOL 80 in 1 precision professional set is designed to service all popular iPad, iPhone, PC,...
- 【Multi-function】 Versatile Magnetic Driver Kit has 56 different kind of bits will accommodate many shaped small...
- 【High Quality】 58 different bits are made of S2 steel, which is high hardness, good toughness, strength and durable....
Technically, this mat has uses in several hobbies. It’s designed for soldering and has several small trays built into the sides. It could easily double as a screw or bolt holder to keep them from rolling away and getting lost, or as a non-slip surface for model car projects. If your hobbies include electronics, this mat will save you from burning workstations with soldering irons. You can order it from Amazon for $12.99.
RYMALL 10 PCS PRECISION ESD ANTI-STATIC STAINLESS-STEEL TWEEZERS SET
No products found.
Dropping parts like chips or screws in between parts of your project is annoying by itself, trying to retrieve them with your fingers is infuriating. A good set of tweezers is almost a requirement for any set of hobby tools. They come in handy for so many things from picking up small parts to placing chips for soldering. Their uses stretch well beyond electronics. You can get this set from Amazon for $12.99.
AVEN 17010 ADJUSTABLE CIRCUIT BOARD HOLDER
- Ideal for clamping PCB, for soldering/desoldering or rework
- Retractable to accommodate various board sizes up to 198mm wide and up to 4mm thick
- Clamps allow PCB to rotate 360 degrees
We tried to avoid including any specialized hobby tools, but this one deserves a spot in our electronics section. If you work with circuit boards, this handy tool makes it easy to work on both sides of the board with risking damage to the board by touching it.
Hopefully, you are using static electricity safeguards, but using a hands-free tool like this for soldering removes almost any chance that you might accidentally discharge static electricity onto the board. You can order one from Amazon for $12.20.
Woodworking Hobby Tools
The magnifier station and tweezers from the previous section make great additions to any woodworking hobby toolkit. Small projects like birdhouses or mailboxes tend to use small screws, and tweezers make working with small parts much more comfortable. However, working with wood requires a few more tools like drill bits and hammers or glue.
PRECISION PIN VISE HOBBY DRILL WITH MODEL TWIST HAND DRILL BITS SET
- Pin vise hand drill-- Aluminium alloy pin vise with 25 pcs HSS twist drill bit, made of strongly materials offers...
- Wide application---Compact size, useful for electronic assembly, tooling, model making, winding, home improvement and...
- Adjustable--3 claw hardened steel chuck, the hand drill can be equipped with many drills. (Diameter from 0.3mm to...
Dry wood splits easily, so drilling the holes before you put the screws in is a good practice. We mentioned mailboxes and birdhouses earlier, and small drill bits save you from a lot of frustration, but larger projects benefit from the same methods. This drill bit set handles holes up to 3mm and comes with 31 pieces in total. You can order it from Amazon for $12.99.
DOWELL 24 PIECES HOMEOWNER TOOL SET
- 24 pieces home repair tool set for daily home maintenance,easy to use at home.
- TPR materials for the handle,Ergonomically designed,high quality steel, the steel are heat treated and chrome plated,...
- Securely housed in a handy blow molded case，It is very small,easy to carry and stock, you can put it in the any place.
This is a toolset by itself. It doesn't have specialty tools like the tweezer set above or the magnifying station, but it includes all the necessary tools you need for most woodworking hobbies or some essential home repairs. It consists of a variety of pliers, screwdrivers, a measuring tape, and a hammer plus a few other tools. You can order it from Amazon for $32.99
KSMXOS 12PCS WOOD CARVING CHISEL SET 12 PIECE SHARP WOODWORKING TOOLS
- 【WHAT WOOD CARVING TOOLS FOR】 The Wood Carving Tools for a beginner whom needs to fall in love with wood carving....
- 【SK7 Carbon Steel】 Hardness up to HRC65 (hardness comparison: SK7>SK2>SK5). High Quality SK7 Carbon Steel with...
- 【Extremely Safe】 Every single tool has a stable plastic protective cover to prevent unnecessary scratch and injury....
This is everything a beginner woodcarver needs to get started today. You can order this great set of wood carving tools from Amazon $28.99. They're made from high-quality carbon steel so that they won't wear out quickly. They come with extra-large wooden handles for a firm grip and safety. Each chisel has a spot in the sturdy case that comes with the set.
GENESIS GLHT72-65 7.2V LITHIUM-ION ROTARY TOOL
No products found.
This tool is almost indispensable when it comes to many hobbies including woodworking. It's the perfect replacement for a hand drill, and it works great for shaping small pieces of wood. You can use it to remove rough edges and even a little crude carving in a pinch. It also makes quick work of removing excess glue from the sides of the wood. You can order it from Amazon for $29.99.
Models and Miniatures
Building model cars, trains, boats, or even buildings is a relaxing and rewarding hobby. You can recruit the kids for help, and they'll enjoy it as much as you enjoy it. Like any hobby or job, without the right tools, everything is frustrating and confusing. Luckily it doesn't take many tools or a lot of money to put together a set of hobby tools aimed at models.
RUSTARK 27 PIECE GUNDAM MODELER BASIC TOOLS CRAFT SET
- ✔ APPLICATION: The modeler basic tools set is suitable for a beginner and advanced modeler as well. You can use it to...
- ✔ FULL RANGE & COST EFFICIENT: Package includes: 1 x cutting pad; 1 x pen knife and 1 x blade; 1 x steel rule; 1 x...
- ✔ DURABLE: Trimmer pen is tightly clamped and has high hardness, anti-skid design. With safety protection cap to...
You can order this kit from Amazon for $21.86. It’s a great starter kit for anyone thinking about adopting model building as a hobby. It doubles as a mat for crafters that work with paper similar mediums. You might find a few ways to use this kit in electronics or woodworking hobbies as well. It's one of the coolest kits we encountered during our search.
MASTER AIRBRUSH MULTI-PURPOSE GRAVITY FEED DUAL-ACTION AIRBRUSH KIT
- Professional Master Airbrush Airbrushing System with A Model G22 Multi-Purpose High Performance Precision Airbrush with...
- Premium Master Airbrush High Performance 1/5 Hp Air Compressor with Air Filter Water Trap with Pressure Regulator Along...
- Includes Master Airbrushes Best Selling User Friendly and Versatile Gravity Feed Airbrush That'S Commonly Used For:...
You can order this airbrush kit with the compressor from Amazon for $79.96. You can paint models using spray cans, or cheaper compressed air airbrush kits, but they are messy and not as reliable. If you’re just starting out with model building as a hobby, compressed air or hand painting is a cheaper option. If you are serious about model building, you need an airbrush set up like this one.
AROIC 50 PIECE PAINT BRUSH SET
- 5 PACKS of 10 SIZES ART BRUSHES: 10 sizes versatile paintbrushes set with a variety of shapes make MIXING COLOR more...
- All-purposed Brushes Sets: Professional paint brushes can cover all your needs. The multi-purposed brushes are ideal for...
- High Quality Craftsmanship: Designed with durable anti-shedding bristles, anti-rust nickel ferrules, and sturdy wooden...
Like many of the hobby tools on our list, paint brushes fit into several categories. We put them in with the Models and Miniatures section because woodworking projects don’t necessarily have to be painted, but models always need paint to bring them to life. This set is actually five packs of ten brushes, and you can order it from Amazon for $10.99. Paint brushes are a must for any hobby kit except electronics.
EXCEL 44288 DELUXE DOLLHOUSE TOOL SET
This set of tools fits in the woodworking and model building categories, but we felt it is better suited for model building. You can order it from Amazon for $37.82. It has all the tools you need to start building model doll houses or dollhouse furniture. Don't limit yourself to using this kit for dollhouses; the tools in it go well with woodworking and model building.
US ART SUPPLY 26-PIECE POTTERY & CLAY SCULPTING TOOL SET
- Complete 26-piece Set of Clay Sculpture Tools
- A unique set that contains a wide variety of tools to be used on a variety of clays including pottery and air drying...
- 12-Piece Set Contains: Wood Potters Rib, Wood Modeling Tool, Metal Scraper, Wire Clay Cutter, Steel Scrapers, Ribbon...
Sculpting is an expensive hobby. You can order this kit from Amazon for $17.96 making it one of the less costly parts of starting a sculpting hobby. In some cases, sculpting requires a kiln and other specialized equipment to make the clay and dry or harden the clay.
However, you can get air-dry clay today and other clays that dry at room temperature. If you go that route, this sculpting kit is all you need to get started, plus a little practice.
SE 81351HB 51-PIECE DELUXE HOBBY KNIFE SET
No hobbyist should be without a good hobby knife. This kit goes well with a woodworking kit, model building kit, and it has many other applications in the hobby world. Since decals and a variety of small cuts go along with model building, we included it in the model building section. Whatever hobbies you enjoy, you need a good knife kit. You can order this one from Amazon for $14.96.
Building Your Hobby Tool Kit
A lot of hobby tools didn’t make our list for the sake of time and space. We focused on tools you need to build a basic kit for several hobbies or to get rolling as a beginner. Most hobbies require some kind of specialized tools such as a kiln or even a table saw. Getting specific tools for your hobbies depends on which ones you enjoy, and your budget.
An excellent toolkit to start with, except for electronics, might include a hobby knife set, a mat to cut things on, and a simple set of paint brushes. A kit like that is perfect for starting a model building hobby until you get into more advanced models and unique paint jobs. Throw in a magnifying station and some carving tools to turn this kit into a wood carving set.
Electronics based hobbies require specialized tools from the start. You can buy a kit with predefined projects aimed at building radios, robots, or even small computers. If you choose to work on projects like those, you probably need everything in our electronics section above. Add a dedicated soldering iron to the mix with a good variety of tips, and you're ready to build more complex electronics.
Always start with the basics and add tools to your kit as you need them. If you start building it by buying every single one you think you need, you'll end up with a huge set and a ton of things you probably won't use, ever.
If you are a real beginner, it makes even more sense to keep your kit small and filled with essential tools in case you don't like your new hobby. If that's the case, swapping hobbies is easier when you haven't invested hundreds of dollars in tools already.
Our Final Thoughts
Whether you’re a beginner or a pro at your chosen hobbies, you need something to store your hobby tools in like the VonHaus Utility Tool Storage Box. This is one decision you have to work out on your own. Some hobbies need more storage space than others. Get something that will hold all your tools plus a few additional tools as your hobby grows. Look for a toolbox or boxes with compartments or drawers for storing small parts or tools.
The tools you choose affect your success and skill level. The right tool for the job always makes the job easier. Like we mentioned before, make sure you enjoy the hobby before investing heavily in tools and only buy tools you know you need to enjoy your hobby your way.
Try several hobbies if you don’t have a dedicated hobby. There’s no rule that says you have to have one hobby or be good at any of your hobbies. In the end, it’s about fun and relaxation.
Last update on 2021-09-19 at 04:39 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API